Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A day's work

I really hate to say this, but it felt good to go back to work today and not have to deal with potty training for a while. It is getting better though, but is still quite frustrating.

I received an early morning call to work which has already turned into three days of work. It was from my current favourite school. As a sub, I get the opportunity to see the workings of many different schools. They all run things differently and I find it good for my own growth as a teacher to see different methods so I can figure out my own. When I eventually find a job, I'll have it all figured out... right?

So far I have discovered that I enjoy middle school. The kids are still kids.  Most of my experience has been in high school and I find high school kids can be just plain mean. They are kids that think they are adults. They think they know everything and the teacher, especially the sub, is dumber than a brick. Middle school kids seem to enjoy having a sub as it is like a day off. Sometimes they play the usual pranks like name switcharoo, but for the most part they are pretty good.

Today was a good day. I only had one behaviour issue in one class. I think I handled it alright. It was art class and I found one chap tracing his drawing. Now I explicitly said "No Tracing". I had to ask him to stop twice and the second time, he got very rude and spoke back to me. I asked him to leave the classroom and he refused. A TA had to help me get him out of the room. When I had him outside of the room I tried to talk to him about his behaviour and he just became beligerent. So I made him stay in the hallway for the remainder of the class. When the period ended he came to the door. I spoke to him in the hallway again and asked if he had anything he would like to say. He appologized. I asked if he understood why he was asked to leave the classroom and he simply looked at me. So I told him why and then let him go. Hopefully the next time I see this lad things will be different.

There was a Rememberance Day assembly for one of the periods. It was a nice ceremony and the kids were all very respectful and well behaved. I did learn something today about middle school: When taking a class down to the gym, insist on a line and good behaviour in the hallway. Yes, I know, its obvious now! I guess I assumed that they would be like high school kids and just walk to the gym, but no..... they were like monkeys. Running and swinging through the hallways, yelling and carrying on. I was completely embarrassed when I saw the other teachers arriving in nice quiet lines.

Live and learn. Next time will be different.

When I arrived home the dog had done her business on the floor. And here I thought that with the baby in daycare I'd be off the hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment