Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The search begins, again

I just finished a stint of about a week and a half teaching for one teacher. She was out sick and fortunately for her, she is feeling better. Not so nice for me. It was a pretty nice run with a great group of kids and a fantastic school. I'm sad that it is over, because now I have to scurry around to find more work. There is so little out there right now.

Monday was wild. Something about a full moon really brings out the crazy in kids. They always say that people get weird on a full moon and I never really believed it until I started teaching. The good kids are unruly and the bad ones are unreal. There were no super crazy incidents, just a noisey, uncontrolled, wild day. I find those days frustrating because it really puts a damper on your classroom management self-esteem. For the most part, the kids did their work and only a few gave me a hard time, but it was just overall mayhem. I had to be super tough, which tends to put me in a bad mood.

The good thing about being a sub is that I don't have to see the rotten kids again, unless, of course, I get called to that school again. Hopefully I do because, like I said before, it seems like just when you start to get to know the kid's names, you are done. It is so nice going into a classroom when you know the kid's names. They just behave better because they know they are accountable for their behaviour. I had one kid come right up to me, talk to me for a while, tell me her name and even point it out on the attendance sheet. She was absolutely rotten in class and I had to write up a report about her. Then I found out three days later that she had switched names with another student! A different student in the class told me about it. Turns out, she did the same thing to her regular teacher at the beginning of the year.

So I've had a couple of days off to get my house straightened up a little, caught up on the laundry and other work. I have another couple of days of work lined up, but it's never enough. I have many resumes for full time jobs out there and have not heard back from anyone. It is depressing. I don't really know what else I can do. I guess my day will come, I just need to be patient. If only the bill collectors were as patient as I must be.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment